This report gives an overview of the direct carrier billing landscape in Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Uruguay) and Iberia (Spain, Portugal). We have combined these regions into one report due to close historical, cultural and linguistic ties.
The report is based on combined data from Boku’s carrier billing platforms which connect merchants with 22 telcos and 410 million consumers in these markets.
While in the past, the main payment method available for consumers in Latin America has been Premium SMS, a growing number of telcos are also rolling out direct carrier billing (DCB) and enabling it also for their prepaid subscribers. This means improved commercials, better technology and bigger revenue opportunities for digital content merchants in the Latin American region.
For each country, you will find the following data in the report:
- Demographics: average population, median age, income
- Telecommunications: phone ownership, data speeds, GSMA’s mobile connectivity rankings, telco profiles
- Payment infrastructure data: bank account access, credit and debit card ownership
- Carrier billing data: median revenue per user, spend distribution by transaction values, user distribution by monthly spend, popularity of carrier billing as a payment method
The data is aggregated across more than 500 merchants using the Boku and Fortumo platforms, giving a broad overview into consumer behavior with carrier billing:
- How much are consumers spending using carrier billing?
- What pricing do other digital content merchants use with carrier billing?
- How does the distribution of transactions look like?
As a result, this report should be useful to any digital content merchant in assessing how to adjust user acquisition and pricing strategies for Latin America & Iberia.
Download the report immediately by filling out the form below.